Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

RE: 1.2 Update Thread

I really don't think anyone on this server is stupid enough to instantly trust a new player.

Basically, the current server will remain vanilla and whitelisted. I have so much going on that I wont have time to manage another plugin heavy bukkit server. IF anyone wants to start a new server with plugins, I will endorse it, help with settings and creation, add that server's info to the website (if you want). I will also play on that server from time to time, but I like vanilla better than anything. I plan on starting a new series on the vanilla server soon (no promises). Sorry for any confusion this has caused. I have been so busy and Bukkit is SO SLOW in releasing a build that works, so I will leave it up to you guys to make a decision.

Actually, it's not. The server having a whitelist, is kinda like gmail having it's old invite-only policy. People who are already on the server can ask their friends to join. But unlike gmail, new people can join after they ask to be whitelisted. It's a barrier to keep the really lazy grievers out. They'd have to sign up for the forum, make a post, ask nicely, it's a lot of work!

Some servers have a pay-barrier. Imo that's not realistic for a small coummunity like this one. So when running a vanilla server a whitelist is pretty much the only way to go.

The server with mods, towny/lockette and whatnot will return. But from what I've heard the mods are taking a really long time to updat to the latest Minecraft version. This is a problem you don't have with running a vanilla server. All new features are available as soon as you run the update script on the server.

I'd much rather a vanilla server rather then one jam packed full of plugins, which, inevitably, make the game much less fun by making it easier to survive.

Also, with plugins like iconomy and towny, the whole server is in a rat race to see who has the most money, biggest town, most diamonds, finds all strongholds, kills the dragon and all that.

It gets a bit... meh... after a while...

There are more people who enjoy vanilla, that is why the vanilla server isn't going anywhere. There are going to be two servers. One will be the current vanilla server, the other will be with mods like lockette/towny/etc.

tekkit if only my laptop ran it but still its worth looking into if your setting up a "mods and pluggins" server. Its this huuuuggggeee collection of easy install mods and everything for online use. It adds a lot to the game and makes the game soo much longer. Anyone who watches yogscast or yogsips knows what I'm talking about. Now they have their own launcher to make everything that much easier so you can keep your vanilla minecraft and modpack version seperate. The only reason I can't run it is because it uses the same launching method as the browser and my laptop has a video card that's weird. They "can't find an openGL" but for everyone else it should work. Just a suggestion to look into. Here's their site. http://www.technicpack.net/

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneJ

Another server, with all the mods you've come to love, is in the works as we speak. It's just that setting up such a server, testing it, tweaking settings, takes quite some time.
    Thx J.

The server is close to completed. just working on setting up shops in the starter town now. Towny still needs to be configured. Donor perks still need to be added. And finally Permissions need to be set. Its a lot of work for one guy, so please be patient. The server will be made live as soon as I am confident in the settings.