Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What program to use for recording?

Hey guys talon6758 here and I was wondering DOM, what do you use to record your videos? I want to start recording on the small world and I would like to know a good program.

That's a good question. So good in fact that it deserves it's own thread. I have moved your post from the Small World Info and Whitelist Application thread to here.

I'll let Dom answer your question though

Hi talon! I was so excited to see this post, that I am answering it on the John! Hahahah! I personally use Fraps, it is a great piece of software that records raw video and sound to a (very large) file. From that point I use a really simple editing program, VirtualDub, with a few plugins: Xvid codec, and a fill effect filter.

Fraps
    Pros:
    • records raw video of almost any game/media player
    • lots of customizable features
    • really easy to use

Cons:
    • Costs money (not too bad if you are making money on youtube)
    • large file size from raw avi footage (if you dont have space)

VirtualDub
    Pros:
    • FREE!!!
    • very simple
    • lots of plugins available (with an active community)

Cons:
    • takes a little bit of learning to get used to the software
    • limited from the simplicity of the built in features (others you can plug-in)

Also, when you get your recordings up, go ahead and post them for the community to see. I will also add you to the description of my videos and on my channel!

Have fun!

~DOM
    Last edited by DOM; 24th January 2013 at 14:06. Reason: finished off of the John. ;)

Me? Make money on youtube?? Thats the most un-realistic thing I have ever heard. My channel (GamersUnited88) has 7 subcribers and just over 300 total views. I use a program called Ezvid and it is terrible. I look forward to downloading Fraps, although I don't know how to edit it on another program. I would like you to check out my channel and give me some advice on how to improve quality. One more thing: On Fraps can I do voice while recording? Or do I have to record and then do the voice. Thanks for the help and I look forward to (hopefully) improving my channel

-Talon6758

You can do voice while recording.

Some advice for better videos: Get a better mic (i watched a few vids and you seemed muffled), record in the game and NOT in the browser version, and finally... TURN OFF THAT RANDOM MUSIC!!! hahaha

Have fun! Laterz!

-DOM

Thanks again for the advice, once again, I use Ezvid and you CANNOT turn of the music there has to be some backround music and thats why I am getting Fraps. I use a headset to record and I would like to know what you use to do the voice. Also if you use a headset too, what kind do you use. And finally, I cannot play in game instead of the broswer beacouse my computer wont let me download minecraft. When I open up the minecraft launcher it say NOT RESPONDING. I am working on getting the downloaded version though. When I get Fraps I will record on the small world server and (if I get whitelisted, but who knows?) the FTB server. I also need the downloaded version of minecraft to get the mod pack and I am working on it. Last thing, on this webstie and on your videos I like how you or InsaneJ respond so quickly. Lots of people don't. Thanks again.

-Talon6758

I realized this after I posted my other entry. I realized that to download Minecraft I would need to make a new account and I did. I am currently working on downloading it and I realized I would have to re-apply for the small world whitelist. My new account name is Talon6754 I wanted it to be something close to my old one. I hope you will add me to the whitelist.

I use a headset for recording. I use the TurtleBeach X12 headset. It's pretty nice, not the best, but it does a good job. Also I have a pretty nice sound card on my New motherboard

X12?? UGH!!!! I bought some for my xbox but it didnt work!! SO I returned them =(. Guess I will have to get them again

i also use fraps for recording and as Dom says its only downfall really is the size of the files (upto about 1.5gb per min of footage ) as for headset i use the Gamecon 780 also the Soundblaster Tactic 3D alpha thx headsets and found them both excellent and don't worry how many subs you have i only have 6-7 but you do it because you want to ...and you never know you may do/say something that will attract the viewers in but if not recording it will go missed forever ...good luck and when you get up and running i will add your link in with my vids and you never know one day you could be as good as Etho or even Dom
    [size=x-large]Earth Defense Force now that\'s new school retro ...[/size]